Saturday, March 19, 2011

catch up 3/11 - 3/19 / 365

Mar 11
Q: What was something you wanted today, but couldn't have?
A: This may sound crazy, but I generally have what I want, and want what I have

Mar 12
Q: Where do you live?
A: I could answer this as: The US, DC, Virginia, Fairfax, in a townhouse, suburb of DC, Northern VA, in a house owned by my parents, in a house occupied by my parents for 11 years, 5 miles or so from my high school, within 5 miles of my immediate family

Mar 13
Q: If you could add one hour to your day, what would you do with it?
A: Read or sit in the sun, preferably both

Mar 14
Q: What is true?
A: True is factual, true is devoted, true is level/straight.

Mar 15
Q: What do you not want to talk about?
A: Money, I don't like talking about it, I just like when it there is enough there to be quietly comforting

Mar 16
Q: What do you want to buy?
A: What don't I want to buy? Ok, really, I would like a new pair of jeans, which I am holding off on until I get past this weird between sizes stage. I would like a 1972 Chevelle SS, preferably navy blue with white racing stripes. I would like a Volvo 240 from the mid 80s. I would like most of J Crew's inventory. I would like a beach house. I would like a row house in Capitol Hill and a home in Charlottesville and a loft in Brooklyn. I am, however, quite satisfied with what I have.

Mar 17
Q: What new activity have you tried?
A: This past year, working with a personal trainer.

Mar 18
Q: In three words, describe your spirituality
A: Atheist, nature, kindness

Mar 19
Q: Describe your work ethic
A: I have a great one. I don't believe in working endless hours for some kind of martyrdom or just to prove a point - I believe in working hard and efficiently. If I ran a company I would employ people whom I could trust to work their own schedules. If you have to work 16 hours to get something done on time, you do it. If you only have 4 hours of work one day, you do it. I think there is some level of ridiculousness in our 9-5 M-F work norms - I am driven by achievement and success and I think the people who are just punching the clock will continue to complete work as they do. I have minimal tolerance for poor work ethic and force myself as a manager to remember that to some people, they intend to only ever put in their 8 hours a day, and technically, that is ok. sort of. not really.

No comments: