Monday, September 26, 2011

P90X, Week 1

Hi all! Happy Monday!

I was getting a little bored with my workout video options, so about 2 weeks ago, I purchased P90X. 2 of my coworkers do it, so I knew a bit about what to expect, plus there's that added competitive bonus!

I got the DVDs on Thursday last week and started on Friday. I'm intending to do the Doubles program, which for the first 4 weeks is the same as the standard program.

This morning, I did day 4, which is the Yoga practice. This is NOT a rest day! This is a tough practice. I've done a lot of Yoga in my time, from a basic Level 1 class to an intense Vinyasa class, and this kicked even my most intense classes' butt. This was sweat dripping from my forehead while I held a shaky prayer pose tough.

Days 1, 2, and 3 were Shoulders and Back, Plyometrics, and Arms and Shoulders. The Plyometrics workout was a killer, but in a very good way. The weights days have been great too, but I think my standard 5lb dumbbells are a little bit lightweight for most of the exercises. I need to pop by the sporting goods store and pick up some 10s.

Day 1 involves a lot of pull ups, of which I can do zero. I don't have a pull up bar yet, that will be another investment. However, you can do the modified moves using a resistance band, which proved to work well enough. I really want to get to the point where I can bang out 10 chin ups.

On weights days, you also do a 20 minute Abs routine, called Ab Ripper. This, this is tough. I'll be very happy when I can get through this whole routine. For now I can do about 10 reps while they happily go on to do about 25.

I took my before pictures before starting, and NO, i won't be posting them here. But if you're lucky, and I'm lucky, you can see the after pics.

I think this program should keep me interested and engaged for the next 3 months. I didn't mean to make the timing like this, but I'll hit day 90 on December 23rd. Hopefully some success will be my Christmas present to myself!

All this exercising my body, and I've also started exercising my mind a bit, with guided meditations. I'm using the CDs from Belleruth Naparstek, including the programs on Stress, Panic Attacks, and Losing Weight. I've only done 2 so far, but I like them quite a bit.

I feel like its almost a very enjoyable second job right now, attending to myself. When I'm at work, I think about what else I can do to better myself. I love it.

On a more troublesome note, I have a beauty issue! I have naturally curly hair, and its happiest when I wash it at night and let it air dry while I'm sleeping. Lately, with my intense morning workouts, I'm working up quite a sweat.

After I cool down and do my makeup and get dressed, I'm still having to deal with wet, sweaty, kinda limp, curly hair. It's making for less pretty mornings than I'd like.

Any curly-haired ladies have any recommendations for me? I don't want to wash my hair with my after-workout shower, because it takes forever to dry. I've been going with pulling it half or all the way back...which I suppose will have to do!

No comments: