Friday, February 17, 2012

a quiz to end our week

hi all! Its Friday, afternoon, and a long weekend. All cause to celebrate! Let's do a little quizzy-quiz.

1. Name three people who inspire you and why? 

a) My mom. She's a wonderful mother, an amazing woman, has a killer green thumb, had a great career at something she is very good at (counseling), is pretty much my go to for any question I may have about life at all, has been married to my dad for 45 years, wore some very awesome dresses in the 60s and 70s, has a masters degree (from UVA), raised 2 very neat children, is very smart, and is someone I would want as  a friend even if she weren't my mom

b) My grandmother. Who grew up in Maine in the middle of nowhere with super harsh winters and can therefore legitimately tell stories about walking to school with 10 feet of snow or some such, who went to college at a time when many women didn't,  the woman from whom I have learned that crosswords, cats, and Talbots are excellent things. Who tells really great stories about what it was like to be a wife at home during WWII. Who is a true Yankee. Who is really funny. Birthed my mom and aunt, which really, what could trump that? Who is also really really awesome at 93.

c) Anyone for whom it is unthinkable to compromise one's vision of their life - I count in this my cousin, Sylvia, who pursues her dreams doggedly.

2. What are three hobbies you always enjoy doing?
  I like to knit and crochet, to read, to do crosswords, to sew, to paint.

3. If you were to have a soundtrack to your life, what would today's song be?
War's Cisco Kid - for no reason other than it has been inexplicably stuck in my head for DAYS.

4. What was your first pet growing up?
I was born on a farm where we had a lot of cows, but our family pets were 2 dogs and 2 cats at the time.

5. Do you have any siblings? What are their names?
I do, my sister, Beth. 3 years older than me.

6. What was your first job?
Besides a baby sitting gig or a paper route, my first job was as a Teacher's Assistant for non-categorical preschool for the summer program for Fairfax Co. Public Schools.

7. If you could be a superhero, what would your power be?
Instantaneous travel to anywhere in the world.


8. What are you most proud of about yourself or something you've accomplished recently?
I taught myself how to crochet! That's pretty cool. I also made a budget, and am sticking to it! Thanks mint.com.

9. Name three tips to being a good blogger.
I don't know - I'm not that successful in terms of followers or readers. But I think just staying true to writing what you know/love, and being honest.
 
10. When was the last time you laughed until you were crying?
I think it was during an episode of Top Gear.


11. What is your dream job?
If I could do anything, I would be an author. But not the struggling kind, haha. But I do really love my job. I think one day, I can see myself consulting to others about how to do what I do now, that would be great.


1. Who do you feel most similar to in your family and why?
I am really a very good mix of my mom and dad, although I look exactly like my dad. We have a lot of the same tendencies/habits too. From my mom, I seem to have gotten tolerance and a great work ethic (dad is no slacker, he is Dr. Mallory after all).

2. What do you wish you could say to yourself at age 13?
Don't hurry into sex. Trust yourself. Don't worry about peer pressure. Study harder, but keep playing hard too. Try out for lacrosse.

3. How do you treat your self?
Very well, with the exception of that I smoke. Smoking is bad.

4. How do you try to improve yourself?
I am constantly seeking out new things to learn, and I gobble up information. I also work out, a lot, and try to eat healthily.

5. What/Where is your favorite place to go in your town/city?



Eastern Market

7. What was your worst job?

I worked at McDonalds for about 3 weeks in high school. I think too much to work at McDs (no offense, I just found it very disorienting that it was so so regimented).

8. What are you proud of in yourself?
I am smart, kind, and loyal. I have accomplished a lot in my career. I do not put on false faces, I am honest.

9. Do you have a guilty pleasure?
Chocolate. Lots of chocolate. Also, singing Adele very loudly.

11. What is something that you wish you could have made, invented, created or designed and why?
 I wish I had designed the Barcelona chair by Mies van der Rohe so that I could just whip one up in my basement today. Other than that, I think it would be cool to have invented pizza. I mean, everyone loves pizza, right?




No comments: