Friday, January 13, 2012

I read..like a lot.

I was just reading Holly's 2011 Book re-cap, and I thought, hey, self, you read a lot, you should do this. And then I thought, hey, self, can you be trusted to remember what you read for a whole year? (you see, Holly wrote it down. smart). Self, no, you cannot.

But I do remember the last 5 or so. So let's take a look-see at those, mmmmk?

Currently reading:

Tom Perrota's The Leftovers.

The premise of this book is that there is a Rapture-like event that makes several million people across the world up and disappear. This is about the lives of the people left. I sort of love it right now, but I'm only 1/2 way done.

Last book finished:
Well, shit. See, ummm.. hmmmm. Wow. Short term memory fail. Oh, wait, I know.

Jeffrey Eugenides' The Marriage Plot



I actually delayed my purchase of this book, which is completely unheard of when it comes to me and Eugenides - because I was still working on the last book, which I'll get to. So, I heard some things, some things about this book, in the interim. Mainly that the ending would make me want to throw the book against the wall in anger. Maybe it speaks to my experience with the subjects addressed in this book, but no, not so much. I took it all in stride, quite calmly I may add.

Anyway, I definitely enjoyed this book. Thumbs up. Read it. Now.

So, before that, I was reading this, which is completely my favorite book of the year, and possibly a long time, but I hesitate to go for EVER.

Neal Stephenson's REAMDE

 (Which my Dad is reading right now. Cause I shared.)

This book has it all - RPGs, Russian mafia, Japanese hackers, American and British Intelligence. It is awesome, and complicated, and a magical dance of subplots that come together beautifully. I have long loved Mr. Stephenson's writing, and this book was super super really really great.

In between REAMDE and the Marriage Plot I read the whole Hunger Games series, in like a weekend. It was good. Light fare, for sure, but quite good. There could've been a lot more THERE there, though, you know? More substance. I hope they rock that movie version, it has potential.


And then before THAT, I read these.


But beyond that, which takes us back to about October, I have no idea. I think I'll be like Holly and start writing it down, you know? Yes.

More importantly, do you have any book recommendations?









No comments: