Thursday, June 09, 2011

moments in time

when I remember, when I look back, I'm amazed at the little, meaningless things that stand out and stand the test of time.

May 1999. Lee Highway movie theatre. Springtime. Purchasing tickets for a double-header of The Matrix and Go. Me and Ed. The ticket taker, on the right side ticket station (this was the less busy side) said to us, are you over 17? 22 and 21, said Ed, smiling.

I look back now, on IMDB, and the Matrix came out on March 31st. What took us so long?

I remember walking out into the parking lot, still light outside. That feeling you have when a movie has just ended, a movie that REALLY took you in. Do you remember seeing the Matrix? Do you remember seeing those effects for the first time? It stayed with you for a little while, silly as that sounds.

Why this memory. Why "22 and 21"?

My Abercrombie sweater, the one I bought at Fair Oaks. You had to throw it away or be caught in a lie. I loved that sweater. I wore that sweater, at a party, one night, with sweatpants. Because when you are young and hot you can wear men's sweaters and sweatpants to parties like it aint no thang.

Listening to OK Computer for the first time, in your room at your parents house, with Steve. We all just stopped and listened.

I have all these memories.

That sweater is gone. That movie theater is gone, though I live a mile from it. OK Computer stood the test of time, that's for damn sure. Being 21 is gone.

No comments: