Thursday, September 22, 2011

purpose

i have a confession to make. I'm not great with long term life goals.

I do, in theory, of course, know how to set a goal and work towards it. I do it all the time. I'm great with short-term goals, even mid-term goals. But I get distracted.

Of course, perhaps I am not giving myself enough credit.

For example: work. One could say, well, Sara has accomplished quite a bit in her career thus far. She is, arguably, quite successful, especially for her age. And this would not be false. I love my job. I love the company I work for. But I think, I'm pretty sure, I've gotten where I am because I work hard until the work is done, I don't think of anything as being outside of my job description, I take opportunities where I see them, and I act in the best interest of the company. Ok, so that's pretty good. I'll take that in an employee.

What I'm trying to say is its not as though one day I said, this is what I want to be in my career, and this is how I'm going to get there. Does everyone else do that? Or maybe I have done that, just not in the explicit way I think others might.

I guess what I'm REALLY trying to say is this..I have ended up with a very happy life. An amazing life. Did I go through a whole boat load of crap before I got here? yes. Did I ever plan for this? No. It was more like an idea, a That would be nice, and now I've got it. I am so so fortunate.

I'm impulsive, and I'm an instant gratification person. I get pissed when my efforts don't yield results. I have a near inability to wait. I have a tough time saving money.

I have ideas about what I want - I know what I want to do long-term in my career, and I have educational goals and mentorship relationships built around that. But its years away. Its sooo farrrr.

I have goals for my diet and for exercise. I do the exercise, every day, because, well, I love it. whaaaa? I know, I love it, what can I say. But it doesn't yield results, not yet. Not major. The diet? I have good intentions, and I'm probably 70% good, and then I have a stressful day at work and I'm all cookie cookie. So there's that.

I have goals set for myself to try to work on my anxiety, travel goals, as simple as going on the metro. and I do those, when I feel good.

So wait, where am I REALLY going with this? I'm just rambling now. Somewhere in the exercise of writing this all out, I seem to have found that I am decent at setting and working towards goals. Perhaps its patience I need to work on. Patience, grasshopper. Patience.


edit. note: well of course, she said it better today. =)

No comments: