Tuesday, October 25, 2011

sweet potato burritos

dudes, I made some bomb burritos last night, and I'm eating the leftovers for lunch right now. I thought I'd share!

Take one big ole sweet potato, and peel it, cut it into cubes. Put in on a cookie sheet and toss with some olive oil, a little bit of salt and pepper. Roast in the oven at 375 for 30 minutes or so.

While you are doing this, dice 1/2 of a red pepper and 1 small sweet onion. Throw those in a pan with some olive oil, and saute until tender.

While this is happening, put some rice on the stove (or microwave it, however you do). You want about 1 cup of rice when uncooked.

Back to the peppers/onions - season to taste with cilantro, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. I don't know how much, I'm sorry! Light on the chili/cumin, and a little heavier on the cilantro is how I like it. Stir it up and keep on saute-ing.

Then, put 1 can of black beans (frijoles negros!) in the pan with the peppers and onions mix. Keep it going on medium heat.

Finally, when your rice is done, mix that in to the whole mess.

And then! Take your sweet potatoes out of the oven (they should be mushy now) and mix them in to the rice/beans/peppers/onions mixture.

Test the spice level when you're adding in ingredients - I added a little more salt and cilantro after all the ingredients were in.

Warm some flour (or whatever your favorite is) tortillas and serve them up with cheese, sour cream, avocodo, whatever you prefer. I like mine with just a bit of cheddar cheese.

These are so freaking delicious and are vegetarian - and could easily be vegan. Enjoy!  This made enough for 2 people for dinner and lunch the next day.

thank you to oh she glows where I found inspiration in her Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos!

No comments: